Which Walkingstick?
June 27, 2010
The first two photos were taken last August. When we saw the first walking stick on the wall of our patio, we assumed it was a male. Then a week later I saw two of them mating (second photo, Bug Love) and realized the one on the patio had been the female.
I was weed eating in the garden yesterday and noticed movement ahead of me and then saw a walking stick climbing out of the way. I stopped what I was doing and bent to pick it up and move it so it wouldn’t get hurt, but noticed it was already missing some legs (see third photo). I’m pretty sure I *didn’t* do that with the weed eater (at least I hope I didn’t), but wonder how it could have happened and what are her chances now? Also, what kind of walking stick is it? I kept reading about striped, spitting walking sticks, but these don’t have stripes.
Jayne Wilson
Houston area, Texas

Mating Northern Two-Striped Walkingsticks

Hi Jayne,
You Walkingsticks are in the genus Anisomorpha, most likely the Northern Two-Striped Walkingstick based on photos posted to BugGuide.  You should handle with care.  BugGuide provided the following critical information:  “
Members of this genus can deliver a chemical spray to the eyes that can cause corneal damage.”  You can get additional information on the Texas Walkingstick website.

Handle with Care: Walkingstick

One Response to Handle with Care!!!: Northern Two-Striped Walkingstick

1. Melanie D Scarborough says:

I have these things comimg in my house!! I have children how can i get rid of them very worried for my kids