Giant Swallowtail
June 25, 2010
Hi Daniel, This beautiful butterfly was shot about three weeks ago. I was driving down a country road, when I saw it I had to stop and back up a few feet to shoot from the car window. I thought it was an “Eastern Tiger Swallowtail” but it has been bothering me because the marking were different I thought it might be a mutant. Then tonight I followed a link you had to “Butterflies and Moths of North America” lo and behold their it was just as big as life. (Wonderful site also) I was impress with the beauty of this one and with your help,permission and tolerance I would like to share it with everyone. Thank you and have a wonderful day.
Richard
North Middle Tennessee

Giant Swallowtail

Hi again Richard,
We will never forget the first time we saw a Giant Swallowtail in Los Angeles in the first years of the new millennium.  around the time they became more plentiful in Southern California.  They frequently visit our lantana beginning in July.  We have read in numerous places that this is the largest North American butterfly.  the LA Times did a nice story in 2007.

Giant Swallowtail