Get the Bugman on Martha Stewart
June 24, 2010
I have been working diligently with my editor Maria at Penguin/Perigee regarding my book, The Curious World of Bugs, which is due out in October.  Now I have been assigned a publicist who will be targeting various publications and radio and television shows for potential interviews, appearances and reviews.  I have gotten a Bee in my Bonnet regarding an appearance on Martha Stewart, and I am bound and determined to do my best to get Martha to notice me.  Of all the television shows, this seems like the best fit for my book.  Though we have never conducted a user profile of our visitors to What’s That Bug?, homemakers, who also comprise Martha’s target audience, make up a large percentage of the website traffic.  Somehow, I think that a personal touch will be required to get Martha Stewart to notice me amidst the deluge of appearance requests her staff must field daily.  To that end, I am designing a pair of oven mitts, making them and then hand quilting them as a gift to Martha.

Oven Mitts

The image is of a vintage drawing of a dragonfly that is one of the art illustrations in the book, and I have rendered it onto canvas in both a positive and negative form, utilizing the photography techniques I teach to my students in the Creative Photo-Vision (Photo 22) class I teach at Los Angeles City College.  This cyanotype process dates back to the 19th Century, and interest in the process is getting a Renaissance among photographers.  Please let us know if you would watch the Bugman on Martha Stewart by posting a comment.
Daniel Marlos, AKA The Bugman