Amazing green beetle in Illinois
June 16, 2010
I found this beetle hiding under my daughter’s plastic playset. I captured it and took photos, while attempting to keep the cat from snatching it. To be honest, it was so huge and had such prominent pinchers, I was more worried for the cat than the beetle.
It’s June and sunny out – about 80 degrees. We have a lush garden.
It seemed to be at least .75″ wide by 1″ long…
Even though I turned him loose (after shooing away the Cat), I’ve been wondering all day if I found something Amazing….
TolerantOfBugs
Near Chicago Illinois

Fiery Searcher

Dear TolerantOfBugs,
This spectacular Ground Beetle is a Caterpillar Hunter known as a Fiery Searcher, Calosoma scrutator.  It may give a painful nip if carelessly handled.  The Fiery Searcher is an important predator that helps keeping the population of caterpillars in check.

Fiery Searcher

One Response to Fiery Searcher

1. stevi says:

I found one downtown! Just chillin near a window scared me half to death! 🙁 poor beatle though my friend stomped on im :'(
    But what on earth was he doing in the middle of the City downtown Chicago?? I thought Fiery Searchers stay in areas that have more grass and rocks and dirt ect.
    Also I seen it around the end of summer 2013