Stag Beetle
June 22, 2010
My mom explained to me that there was some foot-long monster outside, after declaring, “You like bugs, don’t you?”
I took two seconds to identify it as a stag beetle (reddish-brown variety?) and thought I’d get some nice pics.
I don’t know if you can use these, but thought I’d submit them anyways…
…And have fun on your vacation!
MercuryCrest
West Allis, Wisconsin, U.S.

Reddish Brown Stag Beetle

Dear MercuryCrest,
We are trying to post a few new letters before attending to things around the house that need attention since we just returned yesterday.  Your letter was the first subject line that caught our eye from the June 22 submissions because we love Stag Beetles and we were happy we didn’t need to spend any time doing research towards an identification.  This is, as you indicate, the Reddish Brown Stag Beetle, Lucanus capreolus, and it is a male as evidenced by his large mandibles.  There is some great information on BugGuide.

2 Responses to Reddish Brown Stag Beetle

1. MercuryCrest says:

BugGuide indicates that these are found in the East, but insectidentification.org shows that these are found in many of the Midwest states, too.

Strangely, I’ve only seen two in my life. The one pictured above, and a larger Black Stag Beetle around 20 years ago in a similar location.

Beautiful, aren’t they?

2. Dom says:

I was just driving home when I felt something on my leg I went down to swipe it off n it bit me it hurt and I started bleeding, I didn’t know were it went but next thing I knew it was on my arm and I didn’t even see it fly