‘Articulated” Rove Beetle?
June 13, 2010
Hi guys,
Here is an odd one. I believe it is a Rove Beetle but can’t find anything with the ‘articulated’ thorax. Have you got anything like it on your side of the world? About 20mm long and has 16 (or more, hard to count from the picture) antennae segments.
aussietrev
Queensland Australia

Rove Beetle

Hi Trevor,
We agree that this is some Rove Beetle.  According to BugGuide:  “In typical form, body appears to be divided into four parts when viewed from above
” indicating that the articulation you describe is not limited to this species, but is a family characteristic that is more pronounced in your beetle.  Perhaps someone will be able to identify your Rove Beetle.

Update
June 15, 2010
Hi guys,
Hope the fishing was good. Thanks to a comment posted by mardikavana I was able to track down this link
http://www.ento.csiro.au/education/insects/embioptera.html
which shows a shot of this as a Metoligotoma species in the family Embioptera
In reference to the stated areas where it is found, my place is inland by about 200kms, hardly coastal.
regards,
Trevor

Hi again Trevor,
We leave for the airport in a few hours.  We will move your posting to the Webspinner category of Embioptera.

One Response to Rove Beetle from Australia properly identified as Webspinner

1. mardikavana says:

I think that it some sort of Embiidina because staphylinidae doesn’t have that long thorax and i don’t see elytra.