Lunar Bug??
June 10, 2010
I got this picture from my niece and I came on to see if it was a Lunar Bug but you had no information for it. So I thought I would send you the picture. This was taken in Maine.
Take care Carol
Maine

Luna Moth

Hi Carol,
Your Lunar Bug is a Luna Moth.  Each year we like to document the first Luna Moth sighting we get from Maine as an indication of what is happening with the weather.  We generally get the first Luna Moth images of the year in February from Florida.

Letter from Tiffany
June 11, 2010
Luna Moth in WI
I want to thank you for your wonderful website! I have been looking at your pictures of Luna Moths for years and was SO excited when I finally saw one here in Wisconsin last week! It was the most beautiful insect I have ever seen and I knew exactly what it was, thanks to you!!
Tiffany

We are envious Tiffany.  Despite growing up in Ohio, we have never seen a living Luna Moth in the wild, and now that we are in California, there is not much chance.  Next week we will be in Ohio for a week, and we hope we are lucky enough to see a Luna Moth.

12 Responses to First Luna Moth from Maine

1. GRAMMABEV2 says:

We were in our back yard 2 days ago, and saw this luna moth, on the upper windowsil. I didn’t know what it was until I found this website. We live in Western, NY

2. gregp2555 says:

Hi, Although I don’t have a photo. I observed two luna moths in Harrington, Maine on May 30, 2010. They were attacted to a security light left on all night.

3. garthjackson says:

I found my first lunar moth on July 3, 2011 at Inglis Manitoba Canada, Inglis is located about 15 miles from the Saskatchewan/Manitoba border.

4. Karleen says:

I have seen 2 Luna moths so far this year. One spent the whole day on my window. They are indeed beautiful. We live in Maine.

5. M. Bailey says:

My husband and I must have seen what are lunar months here in Maine on Saturday, May 29, 2016. We were walking in the campground here in Naples and the trees were aglow with these amazing little lights…it was very cool. Never seen in my whole 51 years here in Maine!

6. Ed says:

Massive Luna moth spotted in Saco, Maine. Very beautiful, never seen one this large.

7. Bob Jessup says:

Luna moth found 6/10/16 in Cornville Maine, in the grass under an apple tree.
    When I was a bio/zoology prof living in the MIdwest it was always a delight to see them.

8. Amanda says:

Hi amanda from Russellville Indiana, i found on on my front porch,
    .

9. Amy Mizner says:

First Luna Moth sighting 2017 in Gray Maine on 6-25-17.

10. april rossignol says:

its 6/21/18 and I have a lunar moth on my window screen in Sanford me

11. Rob Rich says:

First Luna Moth cited July 9, 2018 in Mattawamkeag Maine