Glowing UFO Bug
June 9, 2010
Really need some help to identify this flying bug that i found when visiting a mushroom farm in Hong Kong. It’s wrapped around in a jelly like cushion, 5cm in diameter, emitting a phosphoresceent glow even in broad day light.
Wildboy
New Territories, Hong Kong

Tortoise Beetle

Hi there Wildboy,
This is a Tortoise Beetle in the tribe Cassidini, but beyond that, we cannot tell you much of the exact species.  The jelly like cushion is actually part of the elytra or hardened wings of the beetle that cover and protect the membranous flying wings.  Many beetles that have this type of metallic coloration quickly fade when they die.

4 Responses to Tortoise Beetle from Hong Kong

1. hi wildboy, I couldnt help but notice your nice picture of what goes by name golden tortoise beetle binominal name (Aspidimorph furcata). check it out on search on google. I live in thailand and take pics of these beautiful beetles all the time. its said they can change color and have a dull phase. there are also tortoise beetles that are metallic green and black, otherwise similiar but perhaps smaller.

2. sorry, incorrect on spelling binominal name spelling correction is=(Aspidmorpha furcata) on golden tortoise beetle.

3. Monica says:

Are they supposed to be here in North America too? I have pics of one that was on my car window here in Michigan.