bumble bee ant/hummingbird
June 6, 2010
Saw this bug out on my balcony in Chicago. It had the fast fluttering wings hummingbirds have with yellow and black stripes on it’s body, which looked like an ant or something similar. It landed on a pile of my dog’s poop and seemed to be… eating it I guess, for about 5 minutes before I threw a dog toy near it so I could get a picture of it flying around, then it flew away after I got these pics. I was a wuss though and took these from inside. Googled “bumble bee hummingbird” and learned there IS a species called this, but this thing didn’t look like those.
(Sorry about the poop in the pics , tried to crop them as best i could)
Samantha
Chicago

Nessus Sphinx feeds from dog feces

Hi Samantha,
We have been meaning to get back to you on this identification.  Your moth is a Nessus Sphinx, Amphion floridensis, one of several diurnal moths in the family Sphingidae that are frequently mistaken for hummingbirds.  According to the Butterfly Conservation website:  “It is thought that butterflies [and apparently moths as well] that are attracted to animal droppings are looking for the mineral supplements that they have in them
.