What type of beetle is this?
June 8, 2010
Can you please help me to identify this beetle? There are thousands all over our yard right now, clinigng to plants in dozens and mating. We are worried that they may be harmful to our trees (white pine, red pine & jack pine)
Sincerely, Ken Hall
Shelburne, Ontario

Rose Chafer

Dear Ken,
This is a Rose Chafer, Macrodactylus subspinosus which is profiled on BugGuide, or Macrodactylus angustatus which according to BugGuide, is very similar and difficult to differentiate from its near relative.  According to BugGuide:  “Adults emerge in early summer and feed on flowers, some leaves. They live for up to 6 weeks. Mating occurs on food sources. Eggs are laid deep (13-15 cm!) in soil and hatch in one to three weeks. Larve feed on roots and overwinter deep in soil. Pupation occurs in early spring in the soil, just under the surface.  Adults contain cantharadin, can poison chickens, other birds.

Thank you very much for your identification.  Knowing that they don’t harm trees, we can just let them get on without worrying about them J
Take care,
Ken Hall

4 Responses to Rose Chafer

1. Tammy says:

We have these same beetles they showed up last year eating the red clover in my lawn. Mating on the clover and eating all the good stuff none left for tea. They are also eating the ox eye daiseys in my lawn just the pettles leaving only the yellow circle, realy worried they are close to the veggie garden.

2. gayatrirohit says:

thanks for the ID. will it be possible for the moderator to mention the family of the beetle? genus species name is indeed helpful but if you can provide with the family ID will be easier.

3. gayatrirohit says:

thanks bugman. actually I wanted to know the subfamily as this group is about scarabaeidae!