Unkown Texas Grasshopper
June 9, 2010
These grasshoppers, like the other grasshoppers in my neighborhood, appear in the summer and stay until fall. I call them ‘Chubbyhoppers’, due to their somewhat rounded appearance, but I have decided to find out what they are actually called. They appear in brown and green, and get about 1/2 inch to 1 and 3/4 inches long. They also appear to be a food for local katydids, as I saw a katydid eat one. I think these are nymphs, as they have underdeveloped wings, but I have seen winged versions of the same grasshopper. What is confusing, though, is I never see these winged ones longer than 1 inch. My picture of the brown form is clear, but the green one may be to blurry. Please help me find out what this grasshopper is called! (P.S. I am including a picture of the winged o ne, too.)
Robert
New Braunfels, Texas, USA

Grasshopper Nymph

Hi Robert,
We only have time to post your letter, and we will try to identify the species of these cute Grasshopper nymphs later.

Grasshopper Nymph