Dragonfly? Wasp? Hybrid?
June 8, 2010
I have lived in Vermont all my life but have never seen this before . Can you identify what this is?
Dave D.
Vermont

Giant Ichneumon

Hi Dave,
This is a Giant Ichneumon in the genus Megarhyssa, and she is a female.  The long stingerlike ovipositor is used by the female to deposit her eggs deep inside wood that is infested with wood boring larvae of the Pigeon Horntail, the exclusive food for this parasitoid relative of wasps.

Giant Ichneumon

10 Responses to Giant Ichneumon

1. tai nguyen says:

I see this one at the Fort Snelling State Park in MN . It’s looks so strange it about 3 inches long hiding under old tree.I wonder if this insect bite human ?

2. Bo Posey says:

We just saw one in Colorado Springs.

3. Andi says:

I definitely saw this today in my yard. I’m outside all the time and have never seen this. What is the larvae they prey upon? What do males look like? Would they sting?

4. victoria says:

i found this thing in our house and we live in WA. it could fly and scared the crap out of all of us, does it sting? does it fly in packs?

Reportedly, Giant Ichneumons do not sting. They do not fly in packs, but they may congregate in larger numbers around good hunting sites.

5. Matt says:

Saw one in Astoria Oregon
    Flying around a dead monkey puzzle tree

6. Tony says:

Just saw one 10 minutes ago and Howell Michigan it landed on my girlfriend’s arm

7. Shannon says:

Just saw one for the first time. Wings were wet caught in our pool. Fished it out. Burlington Ontario.