LONGHORN BEETLE ??
June 6, 2010
LONGHORN BEETLE ??
I cannot find a picture exactly like this after a long search – is this british?
Possibly more than an inch long, on cow parsley, active = hard to focus camera, extremely pretty – what is it and should it really be here?
Sue Climpson
RG28 7SX, Whitchurch Hampshire UK

Golden-Bloomed Grey Longhorn Beetle

Hi Sue,
First we need to say that we understand your frustration at not being able to find this Golden-Bloomed Grey Longhorn Beetle, Agapanthia villosoviridescens, in your online searching.  We began our search by typing the family and location, Cerambycidae and UK, and we were immediately led to the ideal website for the search, bioimages.org.uk, but alas, we could not figure out how to access the images of the insects that were recorded in UK.  By all indications, this should be an easy task, but we kept encountering obstacles.  Undaunted, be began to copy and paste the names indicated on the website in a new browser window and searching with the information provided.  Finally, we landed on the Golden-Bloomed Grey Longhorn Beetle page of Bioimages and though we still do not know how to access the images on that site, the name led us to a wealth of other sites with matching images of your beetle, beginning with Wikimedia Commons.  The NatureSpot website indicates:  “Mainly found in moist meadows and hedgerows.  Adults feed on umbellifers such as Hogweed and Cow Parsley as well as on Nettles
” and “A stem borer that breeds in the stems of thistles and other herbaceous plants.”  Though we were quite frustrated with the very user unfriendly BioImages website, we are thankful for the list it provided for our search.

Golden-Bloomed Grey Longhorn Beetle

2 Responses to Golden-Bloomed Grey Longhorn Beetle from UK

1. John Scott Spark says:

I took a photo of this insect in July 2016 on a bramble leaf on a path in a wood clearing near our house post code DH9 6YX

2. Marju Rose says:

I snapped some mug shots of this beauty today in Hebden Biridge, West Yorkshire HX7. I take photographs of everything that moves but this is the first time I saw this fellow after 31 years of walking around these hills. Very pleased with the photos.