Please help me to identify this bug!
June 4, 2010
I found this insect on the floor in my house. I picked it up because I at first thought it was an old grape or something my kids had left around, and when I flipped it over, I saw legs, which seemed to be curled up or tucked in somehow. Still believing the thing to be dead, I put it on the counter and went to fetch my husband. Upon our return the legs were extended. I live in southern Ontario, Canada, and it is early June; mid spring. It has been freaking me out a little as I hate having bugs in the house, and I have never seen anything like this thing before. I’m still not even sure if the specimen is alive or dead… Image one is the underside (I think) and shows the little legs and “face like” markings. Image two is from the top and image three is a profile of sorts.. Help!
Sherri
Niagara Falls, Ontario

Tick

Hi Sherri,
This is a blood engorged Tick.  It may have entered the house attached to your dog.  After the Tick engorged itself on your dog’s blood, it dropped off.