Human Bot Fly larva pics
April 29, 2010
Hey Bug Guys! I have some pictures of the Human Bot Fly larva that I picked up in Belize. (Perhaps more literally, they picked me…). I’d be happy to send them to you if you would like (and enjoy gross pictures).
Sierra

Hi Sierra,
By all means, please send them.  Please keep the subject line the same and include all relevant information.

Human Bot Fly on Host

June 4, 2010
Sorry it took me a while to get back to you.  The first picture is the back of my neck, where the larvae were growing (about 1 month after infection) and the second one is one of the larva next to a ruler (CM scale).  I had a miserable time convincing American doctors that I actually had these insects as parasites– they wanted to treat me for staph infections and paranoia.   I was only able to remove/kill them by covering their air supply in the skin with superglue left on over night.  I hope that anyone who thinks they may also have a bot fly infection finds this page and tries the superglue- nothing else I tried (suggestions from the internet of using meat or petroleum jelly) worked.
Thanks and enjoy!
Sierra Blatter

Human Bot Fly Larva

Hi Sierra,
Thanks so much for providing this wonderful account and accompanying images of an encounter with a Human Bot Fly in Central America.

4 Responses to Human Bot Fly Larva from Belize

1. Tanya says:

The method for removing bot flies in Belize is to cover the opening with damp tobacco for 15 minutes or so. This will stun the parasite into releasing its hold on your flesh and it can then be squeezed out without breaking off any parts (which can result in infection). If that happens, the local remedy is to apply green papaya to the infection site. (Folks lacking green papaya can use meat tenderizer as it has the same active ingredient.)

Wow. Thanks for the tip. We have heard of the topical benefits of tobacco for parasites in the past.

Reply sent to email: You bet. I have learned and keep learning so much from WTB it’s a pleasure to contribute for a change. The tobacco method works very well; I can attest from first-hand experience (as the treater, not the patient, fortunately). You have to let the parasite get a bit of size so it can be squeezed out; some folks have a tough time letting that growth happen.
      Tanya

2. lupita says:

Is it possible to get this here in the United States? I have similar painful bumps on my neck, at first I thought it was pimples or a bug bite But the pain keeps getting worse. The pain has gotten to the point that I can’t move my neck.

3. Gunter says:

I used rubbing alcohol and then grabbed the air tube and pulled it out, it was 1/2 inch long.