Weird Bug I Found
June 2, 2010
This insect flew into my house the other day and landed on the ceiling in my bathroom. I’ve never seen anything like it. Is this some kind of roach?
It appears to be missing one of it’s legs, but it has six long legs, very long antennae, is a mottled olive green/brown/black color. The body measured about two inches, with another two inches or so taken up by the antennae.
I live in the Pennsylvania/ Philadelphia area.
Bugged in Philadelphia
Pennsylvania

Spined Oak Borer

Dear Bugged in Philadelphia,
This is some species of Longhorned Borer Beetle in the family Cerambycidae.  It looks familiar to us, especially because of the spines at the tail end of the elytra, but we did not have any luck this morning browsing BugGuide.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to provide an identification while we are at work.

We decided to give it one more try, and we believe this is a Banded Hickory Borer, Knulliana cincta, based on images posted to BugGuide.

Correction:  Spined Oak Borer
We received a comment that identified this Cerambycid as Elaphidion mucronatum, and so we verified that on BugGuide, which calls it the Spined Oak Borer.

Another Possibility courtesy of Karl
June 3, 2010
Hi Daniel:
This is a confusing one. It looks a lot like a cerambycid that was posted previously on WTB and identified as a Spined Oak Borer (Elaphidion mucranatum; Cerambycinae: Elaphidiini). You can also check out this site. However, it also looks very similar to another species (or complex of species?) in the same tribe, Parelaphidion aspersum (=Hypermallus compactus =H. flumineus =H. incertus externus). One site actually listed at least a dozen synonyms and it looks like a number of species have recently been re-assigned to the new species Parelaphidion aspersum. Predictably, the appearance is highly variable. One of the images on the Bugguide, originally posted on the dpughphoto site looks particularly similar to the one posted by Bugged in Philadelphia. I believe the Spined Oak Borer is smaller (< 1 inch?) and in most photos it appears too reddish. I am inclined to go with P. aspersum but I will let you make the call. Regards.
Karl

8 Responses to Spined Oak Borer

1. mct5548 says:

Most likely Elaphidion mucronatum.

2. Charity says:

I live in West Virginia and have seen 4 of these same insects In my house in the past 2 weeks.

3. Clint R King says:

The length of the spines on the ends of the wing covers suggests Elaphidion mucronatum

4. Sal says:

Is this bug dangerous

5. Floridian Hippie says:

I just found one of these in my south Florida home but it was a decent 2+ inch and when I put a cup over it,it began hissing at me it sounded like pressure being released from a small cylinder like it was spraying. That noise coupled with the nail in the wall I thought this thing was super mutant and mounting deep in my wall. Has anyone heard of this creature hissing or know a variant that does his and is 2x normal size

The hissing sound you describe is known as stridulation, and many Beetles, including Scarabs and Longhorns, are capable of stridulation.