Grasshopper Identification
May 30, 2010
After a lot of useless search on the net, I’m going to post the picture of this grasshopper for identification. It’s commonly found in the months of August and September. Mainly feed on plant “Urochloa maxima” in family Poaceae.
Any help in identification will be highly appreciate.
birdy
Pakistan, NWFP

Pradka Grasshopper from Pakistan

Dear Birdy,
We need to research your beautiful Grasshopper.  Meanwhile, we will post the image in the hope that one of our readers is able to assist in the identification.

Karl provides an identification
June 1, 2010
Hi Daniel and Birdy:
I am almost certain that this lovely grasshopper belongs to the genus Heiroglyphus (Acrididae). The most characteristic feature of the genus is the 3 or 4 grooves (sulci) that run vertically along the sides of the pronotum, joining across the top. These sulci are usually but not always lined in black. I looked at several keys and the only species that has this particular arrangement of lined and unlined sulci is H. nigrorepletus. The black lines joining all sulci at the top and the first and third along the bottom are especially distinctive (the second sulci does not extend down along the sides). Several species have the blue tibia with white black-tipped spines, including H. nigrorepletus. The common name in India and Pakistan is the Phadka Grasshopper, and it is considered to be a pest where it occurs in agricultural areas (rice, sugar cane, hemp, maize and sorghum). It apparently swarms occasionally but this is not typical. There are very good descriptions and accounts in Kirby, 1914 (as H. bettoni) and Mason, 1973. The latter is particularly good and both can be downloaded as PDF files. I was able to find only one online image of what I believe is the same species (unfortunately no identification given) that shows a mating pair. Birdy, the one you posted looks like an immature late instar male. Your excellent photo was most helpful. Regards.  Karl

One Response to Unknown Grasshopper from Pakistan is Pradka Grasshopper

1. Dave says:

From what I’ve read over the years, Acridids (Acrididae is the scientific name of the grasshopper family) are are the most commonly consumed family of insects around the world.

This one definitely looks like a nymph. Might well be the genus Schistocerca, which are generally the locusts.

Dave
    http://www.smallstockfoods.com