Small Green Flies
May 29, 2010
This morning (May 29 2010) I have small metallic green flies/wasps in my vegetable garden. Not a swarm but I saw at least five. I haven’t looked for them elsewhere. (I only noticed these because I was taking a photo of a leaf problem on the potatoes.) The photo is on a potato plant, but they don’t discriminate. They are about 1/2″ long. One landed on me, too. They don’t startle easily. I live in the mountains of western Virginia. We’ve had alot of rain recently.
Hoping They’re Beneficial
West of Lexington, VA

Long Legged Fly

Dear Hoping,
You wish has been granted.  This Long Legged Fly in the family Dolichopodidae is beneficial.  According to BugGuide:  “Adults and larvae are predaceous on small insects. Although immatures of some species mine stems of grasses and other plants or live under bark of trees. Not much is known about larval feeding habits although some species are known to be predaceous.