Aquarium Comments – Cycling
May 24, 2010
Yes, I know, MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) has an incredible effect. Anyways, I greatly appreciate you putting information on cycling in your site, most people overlook this essential process.
However, I would like to politely point out that there are many ways to successfully cycle an aquarium without the use of live fish. Here on Fishlore (fishlore.com) we find this rather ineffective, as well as stressful to the fish.
I’m not saying that you didn’t do the right thing. I have to, again, express my gratitude of you placing this entire process on your site, so all other new fishkeepers can read and understand.
For more information on the Nitrogen Cycle and how to cycle an aquarium without using fish, I would recommend this excellent page: http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
In addition, any questions you may have can be answered if you join the forum.
Thank you for hosting this great website, again, and showing off your gorgeous aquarium and fish. Its not every day you see angelfish breeding as much as yours, so I can be sure that you are taking good care of them!
Brian (Elodea on FL)

Thanks for the links Brian.  Cycling our aquaria was quite an ordeal.  Though, in general, we think our skill as a freshwater aquarist is above average, we still have two factors to try to correct.  Algae (hair algae in one aquarium and blue-green and brown algae in the other two) proliferates and the plants are not thriving.  Perhaps fishlore.com will provide us with some assistance.

Update:  July 14, 2017
Though the time for cycling our aquarium has long passed, we received the following request from Emma, and upon reading it, we decided it would be appropriate to share the information she provided.

Heyyy Daniel
Just wanted to reach out after coming across your page …
Here’s the thing, we recently published a much better guide on the Nitrogen Cycle with brand new custom graphics, which you can see here:
https://modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/
Thought it might make a nice addition (or replacement) link on your page.
It would awesome if you did. And of course, we’d be happy to share your article on our social media channels as a way of saying thanks!
Either way, keep up all the good work.
Toodles,
Emma.