Two spiders and two question
May 22, 2010
In my home were two green spiders, one hairy and the other crab-like (so to speak).
The crab-like spider held its first and second legs close together to appear to be like pincers. This spider was on the ceiling, easy to see with its lime green body against an off white ceiling.
The hairy spider was discovered crawling on our hanging laundry brought in from outdoors. It had rather long distinctive spike-like hair on its legs and body. The head was white on top, the abdomen was also white on top with grayish tan color on the side. This spider was mostly green with dark outlines, and the mouth part had club-like protrusions.
I do have a Japan insect guide book, and looked up what I think these spiders are. I think the crab-like spider is a crab spider (Oxytate striatipes), and the hairy spider a lynx spider (Oxyopes sertatus).
Question #1: Am I right?
In addition, which was new to me, I read that the club shaped mouth parts (palps) on the hairy spider meant that it was male.
Question #2: Do all male spiders exhibit this feature?
Lucy
Fukuoka City, Japan

Lynx Spider

Hi Lucy,
Your photos are very small files with low resolution, and it is difficult to make an exact identification, but we agree that you have a Crab Spider and a Lynx Spider, and the Japanese species you cited seem like likely candidates.  It seems all male spider possess enlarged pedipalps, or palps, and that they are used for mating purposes.  We found many sources for this information, but the most reputable was Encyclopedia Britannica Online.  We also located an article entitled The Spermatozoa of the One-Palped Spider Tidarren argo in the Journal of Arachnology online.  Cobbling together the information, we can paraphrase that the male spider transfers his spermatozoa first to a reservoir in the palps, and then to the female.