Large Mottled Insect
May 21, 2010
I found this insect outside an office building in the parking lot. It ws the most unusual insect I think I have ever seen. The bug was about 4 inches long and not the least bit shy. It walked towards me instead of away and tried to crawl up onto my shoe. I was just wondering what it is and a little more about it.
Leah
Cullman, Ala

Dobsonfly

Hi Leah,
We know that summer is coming when the Dobsonfly images start to arrive in our email box.  This is a male Dobsonfly, which may be distinguished from the female by his trophy mandibles.  The female’s less impressive mouthparts are actually much more utilitarian, and she is able to deliver a painful pinch if carelessly handled.  We have read that the male uses his saber-like mandibles for mating and/or jousting with other males, and we long for a photo documentation that illustrates the behavior.