What kind of beetle is this?
May 18, 2010
I found this beetle on it’s back on the floor of my kitchen at about midnight. My first instinct was to “KILL THE BUG!!”, but then I thought that I should check out what kind of beetle it is to make sure my orange tree is safe. Thank you for your time. I want to apologize for the small amount of glare, didn’t want to let it out of the bag.
Chris
Orlando, Florida

Hardwood Stump Borer

Hi Chris,
This Longhorned Borer Beetle is a member of the Tribe Macrotomini, and though this particular view through the plastic bag is not ideal for identification, we are relatively confident that this is the Hardwood Stump Borer, Mallodon dasystomus.  According to BugGuide it has:  “Robust, gigantic jaws
” and “Larvae bore in live heartwood of trees, esp. oak, sycamore, take 3-4 years to mature. Can be economically damaging. Adults attracted to UV lights.”  We suspect it may have been attracted to the light in your kitchen.  It will not harm your orange trees.

One Response to Hardwood Stump Borer

1. Iupdad1973 says:

I have a bug that resembles a hardwood stump borer with a few differences. One the antennae are smaller and the back has smaller lines but more of them . It is about the length of a penny.