Mystery Moth
May 17, 2010
Discovered this moth in a cane field next to an Arenal Volcana lava field in Costa Rica. It was dusk and raining. We were with a few others and no one had seen such a moth before, not even the local guide. It was a giant, about the size of a man’s hand. Very impressive.
Paul
Arenal Volcano area, Costa Rica

Female Imperial Moth from Costa Rica

Hi Paul,
This looks like a subspecies of our North American Imperial Moth.  We previously identified Eacles imperialis decoris in a different letter based on images on The World’s LArgest Saturniidae website and assistance from Bill Oehlke who wrote:  “It is Eacles imperialis decoris female, based on thin slightly scalloped pm line.”

Many thanks for your quick response. I did check your website and do a google but failed to spot the moth, although I probably saw the other Imperials but then failed to make the connection. Thanks again.
Paul.

2 Responses to Female Imperial Moth from Costa Rica

1. Marieke says:

Hi, I have an imperial moth I would like to show, to see which one it is exactly. How do I post a picture here? Kind regards, Marieke