Cool looking beetle
May 15, 2010
I found this guy sunning him self atop a 4″ railing ball cap. This more than 1″ long ham was fearless and quite willing to pose for a snap shot or 10. He looks like a stink bug crossed with a carrion beetle. In the close up it appears his shell and leg are spotted with pollen, also his large mandibles lead me to believe he may be some type of timber beetle. So what is he.Thank you all.
Beau bugs
north Idaho U.S.A.

Darkling Beetle

Dear Beau bugs,
Alas, we have not had any success identifying this Darkling Beetle in the family Tenebrionidae to the genus or species level.  The Darkling Beetle family is well represented on BugGuide.  We are relatively confident that it is in the subfamily Tenebrioninae, also represented on BugGuide, but we lose our confidence at the level of Tribe.
We are going to contact Eric Eaton for assistance.

Eric Eaton has an answer
Hi, Daniel:
I’m happy to help.  You and WTB have honorary status as among the very first places I started doing online work….
I think that darkling beetle is Upis ceramboides, though I didn’t know it occurred in Idaho.
But, since there are BugGuide postings from Alberta, Canada, this seems logical:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/101017
Not many “tenebs” have that wrinkly texture….