2 1/2″ Fly with Large Blue Eyes
May 13, 2010
This bug was on our driveway and I thought it was dying. It was huge (2 1/2″ long) and I went to get my camera so I could look it up in my bug book. It was still there and I was able to get one picture. The eyes were very blue. When I moved it to get a picture straight on of it’s eyes it flew away! I was so disappointed. Obviously it wasn’t dying, but possibly just hatched? Please tell me what it is if you can. I’ve never seen anything like it and I take a lot of pictures of bugs, birds, etc. in our yard.
Sandi
Boca Raton, FL

Greenhead Horse Fly

Hi Sandi,
This is one impressive Horse Fly, but we do not know the species.  Perhaps one of our readers will have better luck researching than we have had.

Thanks for your quick response once again!  All I can say is that boy must be on steroids!!!  He was really large for a fly.
Sandi

Eric Eaton identifies Greenhead Horse Fly
Hi, Daniel!  Hope you had a great trip to see mom for Mother’s Day 🙂
The horse fly is no doubt the “Greenhead,” Tabanus americanus.  Would not want to be bitten by that one!

Thanks Eric,
According to BugGuide, this is the Earth’s largest Tabanid.