small bugs on my kitchen counter
May 2, 2010
Dear Bugman, I have noticed very small bugs on my kitchen counter in the last few weeks. They range in color from a greyish shade to orange to brown. I mostly see them in the evening. I caught one under a glass and it seemed to jump from one side of the glass to the other. The exterminator doesn’t believe they are cockroaches.
Thank you for helping me.Pam Lahr
Southern California

Springtail

Hi Pam,
This is a Springtail and we just finished posting a very comprehensive response, also from Southern California, on Springtails.  They are benign creatures that can become a nuisance if they are too plentiful.  We suspect the unseasonal rains this past winter in Southern California may have contributed to a population explosion of what is already considered the most numerous hexapod on the planet.

Springtail

One Response to Springtail

1. Maggie Dahl says:

Springtails can cause Myiasis in humans and pets. A nuisance is an understatement! Morgellons Disease is caused by these nano-sized creatures. They say they don’t bite but they burrow and reproduce in your hair follicles and looks like cystic acne leaving horrible scarring. BEWARE!