Is this an ant or spider?
May 2, 2010
This was crawling across our table this morning and have never seen anything like it before. Is it an ant or a spider and is it poisonous/does it bite?
Jennifer
Tennessee

Ant Mimic Jumping Spider

Hi Jennifer,
This is an Ant Mimic Jumping Spider, so your confusion is understandable.  All spiders have venom, but very few are dangerous to humans.  The Ant Mimic Jumping Spiders pose no threat.

12 Responses to Ant Mimic Jumping Spider

1. klyoshiura says:

I’ve seen this type and another type of ant mimic spider that doesn’t jump by the backyard screen door in my home. The latter was crawling on the screen door with its front legs above its head looking like an ant. The dead give away was the strand of web that it was dangling from when I tapped the screen.

2. Dirk says:

I’ve a phobia for any spider regardless of the size and/or, species. They’re all ugly – hideous looking crearures in mine opinion. Here in my region, in Richards Bay South – Africa, I’ve seen one O’those li’l ant mimic ‘goggas’ running around on garden chairs outside and on trees if I’m not mistaking. They were all black , they mimic the black ants we have here, vey convincing though, but, their tipical spider like movements and menouvers, and close up investigation, gave me the benefit O’the doubt concerning these creatures. I’ve always wondered what’s the potency O’their venom and if they actually were spiders or ants. So, thx for your info concerning these “things”… I rest my case.

Thank you for going public with your phobia. We hope that our site encourages people to overcome their fears by learning that most spiders are perfectly harmless to humans. We imagine they have weak venom with that has very little effect on humans.

• Wolfie says:

I don’t like spiders even a daddy long leg I got a game that was all about the daddy long you have to try to walk any ways there is one I. My room and I freaked out!!! So thanks for telling.g me I thought I also had a big spider bite but I was a mosquito.

3. Dave says:

Great info here, had this Ant type spider on my basement workbench, and thought it was a carpenter ant. Was going to squash it with my index finger and to my surprise it was strong enough to push off finger and pinched the skin and then it jumped about 6 to 8 inches in the air as if it was attacking. It then ran extremely fast and disappeared thru a crack in the bench. It was a strange encounter for me, and I’m glad to find out what it was. I thought I had run into a mutant ant.

4. William says:

I’ve been bitten by these before. Multiple times in my backyard. It is painful. It feels like a very intense fire ant sting, and last for about an hour. It swells and reddens during that hour, and then eventually subsides. It leaves a bump for a few days at the sight. I don’t know what these are, but they are pretty cool. I really wish they would stop biting me, it freaking hurts!

5. Cathy Honeycutt says:

I had an unreasonable fear of spiders when I was younger. I have learned over the years, however, that spiders mostly just want to be left alone. My favorite spider is the jumping spider, in any of its forms. They are very friendly and will actually spend time sitting on my hand or arm. Their motto could be: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

6. Paul says:

Just found one today I’m in Toronto Canada just wondering where they may be found never seen this here

7. anthony amabile says:

I’ve noticed these for the last five years in New Castle, PA (Western Pennsylvania USA)

8. Michael Anthony Little says:

Im here in Ny. 1st time I’ve ever seen one. I noticed him when I was shutting the shed door, and he flipped over the handle, with a 6th sense that was uncanny for an ant. I proceeded to extend my finger out, and he flipped to the other side instantly, like a spider would. I kept looking closer, but all his features were that of a long black ant. After “messing” with it, he walked away like a normal ant! Had me fooled enough and curious enough to look it up, I thought I had discovered a freak cross-breed.

9. Scott says:

I’m in northern California valley and seem to kill at least on a month all about an inch long. Can’t stand em! At all!

10. Nicholas says:

Had one of these get me 12 hours ago, but I had recently heard about them existing, and the one that got me was a bit darker, but otherwise the same. I’m an arachnophobe, so I flipped out and nearly broke my wrist. Also TN.