Black butterfly with red spots on the bottom of its wings
May 2, 2010
I need to know what this butter fly is, i need the common name, the species, and the genus. it is for a project
thank you, kimmy
in monrovia canyon park in california

Montezuma's Cattleheart sighted in California!!!

Dear Kimmy,
This is quite an unusual sighting since this is not a native butterfly.  Our first thought was that this must be an escapee from a butterfly pavilion, but upon searching through the Mariposa Mexicanas website, we believe we identified your specimen as a Montezuma’s Cattleheart, Parides montezuma.  Since it is native to Mexico, it is entirely possibly that it has strayed to California under its own power, or possibly it may have been accidentally imported on a plant or other item that entered the country and bypassed customs.  We are tagging your letter as an Invasive Exotic, though it is possible that the butterfly is naturally increasing its range.

2 Responses to Montezuma's Cattleheart strays to California!!!

1. OneManicNinja says:

I got the impression that “Kimmy from Monrovia” was getting you to do her homework for her, not that she found an Invasive Exotic. 🙁

Thanks for indicating your impression. In retrospect, you might be correct. We do not like doing homework for students who need to learn to build research skills, but that did not override our interest in this exotic species that is outside its normal range.