Unknown Bug(mebbe beetle?)
April 23, 2010
Hi Daniel. I taken a pic of a bug while Himaliyan Trek during June 2007. I tried to find the bug info on internet but failed and so I had requested BUG ID to Eric Eaton at AllExperts.com and he suggested that it might be a “Leaf Beetle” but he wasn’t sure. So he referred me to you that you or your readers might be able to properly identify it.
Mayank Raichura
Parvati Valley, Himachal Pradesh, India

Darkling Beetle

Dear Mayank,
WE agree with Eric Eaton that this looks very much like a Leaf Beetle.  We will post it on our website and we hope our readership will help to identify it.

Update:  4 September 2016
We just received a comment from Boris and he provided links indicating this is a Darkling Beetle, NOT a Leaf Beetle.

Location: Parvati Valley, Himachal Pradesh, India

7 Responses to Darkling Beetle from India

1. Boris Bueche says:

I can see, even if blurry, that tarsal formula is 5-5-4.

This beetle belongs in Tenebrionidae: Alleculinae – and is unusually colourful for the group. Species ID will be no problem, unless one has a book that contains this species.

2. Boris Bueche says:

A pity! Tenebrionidae, and most beetle families, never covered!
    Remains the accidental google hit – or a well-sorted museum collection to scroll through.

3. Boris Bueche says:

Or: Contact with the network:
    http://www.tenebrionidae.net/taxonomists.php