Could you please try to ID these beetles? Thanks!
April 19, 2010
These were two of many of their kind that were scurrying all over my windshield today (April 19); some were mating. Each was maybe about an inch long. I was parked directly under a mature cherry tree. The yellow on the windshield is, I believe maple pollen. Thanks for any help in IDing them – I searched this site and a few others but didn’t manage to come across it. Love your site, I refer to it all the time and it has stopped me from being quite so much of a bug-fearer!
Karen in Seattle
Mercer Island, WA

Unknown Longhorned Borer Beetles

Hi Karen,
These are Longhorned Borer Beetles in the family Cerambycidae, but we are late for work and haven’t the time to identify the species at the moment.  Perhaps one of our readers will have some free time and post a comment.

Longhorned Borer Beetle

Karl provides an answer
April 26, 2010
Hi Daniel and Karen:
It looks like Hybodera tuberculata (Cerambycinae: Hyboderini). The genus only has two species, both native to the Pacific coast. H. tuberculata looks closer than H. debilis. I couldn’t find much information foe either, but apparently H. tuberculata ranges further north (to British Columbia) and H. debilis ranges further south (to California). Regards.
Karl

3 Responses to Mystery: Unknown Longhorned Borer Beetle is Hybodera tuberculata

1. Mr. Goodwraith says:

Given the shape and color scheme, I’m guessing some kind of flower longhorn (Lepturinae); possibly Leptura obliterata (although the coloration seems off)? See http://bugguide.net/node/view/165929/bgimage and http://bugguide.net/node/view/315077/bgimage.

2. brian sullivan says:

This is not a Lepturini for sure. The body is too robust. Note the enlarged femur and the squared humeri. Would luv to see an ID on this one it has me puzzled.

3. Muskoteekein – in Cree we call them a Bear Beetle or a Spruce Bug – in our part of the world they bite! Great photo!