They are everywhere.
April 17, 2010
There are thousands of these in the yard. I find them on the concrete, bricks, and in the soil. The larger ones are about 1.5mm long, by .5mm wide. Fast movers too. I spent 20 minutes waiting for one to stop long enough for me to get a decent picture.
Vince Grgas, San Pedro CA.
Southern Los Angeles area

Springtail

Hi Vince,
This is a Springtail, and we applaud your patience and perseverance in getting this remarkably clear image of a tiny, rapidly moving creature.  Springtails are primitive insects, though they were recently reclassified out of the class Insecta and into their own class Collembula which may be viewed on BugGuide.  True insects, Springtails, and some other creatures with six legs are collectively called Hexapods, and the Discover Life website indicates:  “Springtails have the widest distribution of any hexapod group, occuring throughout the world, including Antarctica. They are probably the most abundant hexapods on Earth, with up to 250,000,000 individuals per square acre. They are found in soil, leaf litter, logs, dung, cave, shorelines, etc. There are about 6000 known species.
”  Springtails are important components in the breakdown of organic matter into humus, and they are frequently encountered in compost piles in astronomical numbers.