Unknown grasshopper from Israel
April 12, 2010
Hi WTB,
I saw lots of these grasshoppers on my hike to Eastern Samaria (north-east of Jerusalem, Israel) on April 9-10, 2010. I had no luck in finding a name for them. Both nymphs and adults have distinctive yellow and black markings on the inner thighs of the rear (large) pair of legs, and the adults have reddish hind wings. Otherwise they have excellent camoflage as rocks.
Ben
Eastern Samaria, Israel

Unknown Grasshopper

Hi Ben,
We are going to try to contact Piotr Naskrecki, an expert in Katydids, a related group of insects, to see if he recognizes this desert dwelling Grasshopper.

Unknown Grasshopper

Thank you!
I know I sent lots of bug pictures, it was that kind of hike. Spring, everything is alive and active before it gets too hot here. I was hoping you’d have the time to post two or three of my submissions. I never expected you to post so many! So again, thank you! And thanks for the help in identification. I try to do the research before I send them, but I’m not always successful. There are a few websites that help, but no really comprehensive guide to Israeli or Middle-Eastern insects.
Ben

Unknown Grasshopper