Sphingid Larva
April 9, 2010
Picture taken last summer in our yard in Tucson, Arizona. I remember looking it up and found it once, but lost the ID. I think it fed on ironwood. Found a couple specimens crawling around. Can’t remember the month, but thinking it was late summer. Most distinctive were the mirror-like scales running the length of the body.
Lisa Rakestraw
Tucson

Hubbard's Small Silkmoth Caterpillar

Dear Lisa,
Despite the name Syssphinx hubbardi, the Hubbard’s Small Silkmoth Caterpillar is not a Sphinx in the family Sphingidae, but a Royal Moth in the tribe Ceratocampinae.  BugGuide reports this species from Arizona and New Mexico, though it is also known from California, Nevada and Texas.

Hubbard's Small Silkmoth Caterpillar

4 Responses to Hubbard's Small Silkmoth Caterpillar

1. I wish there was a Share on these threads so I could Share them. 🙂

2. I’m still fighting with this – it needs to post to the whatsthatbug fan page, not to my page! Then, I can add the Share part in I think.

3. I know how frustrating this is. Frequently when I want to add stuff to my personal page, it wants to default to BB4WA. FB is not all it could be yet.

4. That’s for sure…