What is this little bug?
April 6, 2010
I found it tonight.
Sleepy Guy
PA

Spider Beetle

This is a Spider Beetle, Gibbium aequinoctiale.  According to BugGuide: “This species is a scavenger, feeding on a wide variety of dead plant and animal materials.
It has become a pest by feeding on dry stored products.”  You might want to check the pantry to see if they have infested an old box of pancake mix or the forgotten cookies on the top shelf.

Yup that’s right.. thanks for the response.. not happy to hear that though! This is the second one I’ve found in here.
The exterminator will be here tomorrow, that’s for sure.
I guess at least its not a tick, beceause that’s what it sort of resembles.

An exterminator won’t help if they are in the food unless you direct the exterminator to spray the food directly.  You need to find out where they are feeding.

oh ok. I think they’re actually living off the wood grain in the ceiling (older building).
I am seeing them all over the place (usually dead (or nearly dead) on the floor, probably from falling).
I have no idea what to do if they’re in the wood ceiling.. but the exterminator is my only hope.