Identification Request
April 6, 2010
I sent my question on the site and not with an e-mail.
If you can help me to identify this insect I send you the photo by this e-mail.
This insect was photographied in Costa Rica in the Monteverde reserve, in the cloud forest in March 2010.
I am not a specialist of insects but I suppose it is an heteropter, family of pentatomidae. It is a jewel!!!
Thank you for your help.
Best regards,
MAB

Unknown Insect

Dear MAB,
This is a mystery, but we would rule out a member of the family Pentatomidae.  This may be a Planthopper in the superfamily Fulgoroidea.  We wish the view of the head was clearer as that could assist in the identification.  We also wouldn’t rule out a Moth, bug again, the details of the head would help.  Perhaps one of our readers who has traveled to Costa Rica, like Karl, may recognize this mystery.

Unfortunately I didn’t see anything quite like this. Your hunch was right Daniel, this is a moth. It belongs to the Tortricidae (Tortrix Moths or Leaf-rollers), a very large family usually included in the Micropepidoptera.  Most Tortrix moths are rather small and non-descript; this one is obviously a beautiful exception. I found an illustration and description of this moth in the “Biologia Centrali-Americana” by Walsingham (1905-1915) under the name Idolatteria pyrops. That still appears to be an accepted name but I could find no more recent information about it. To confuse the issue, I did find a wonderful photo under the name Pseudodatteria leopardina on the “Animals and Earth” site. I suspect this species has undergone some taxonomic revision since it was first described. Coincidentally, the photo is credited to that old friend of WTB?, Piotr Naskrecki, and it is tagged as a rare diurnal moth from Costa Rica. Perhaps Piotr can provide some additional information. Regards.
Karl

Thank you very much for your prompt and documented answer. Thanks to Karl too!!
I did not suppose it was a moth!!
… Best regards,
MAB

Piotr Naskrecki verifies identification
This moth is almost certainly Pseudatteria leopardina, a diurnal tortricid
from high elevation Central America
Cheers,
Piotr