What is this bug?
April 5, 2010
I discovered this creature on my bed. I originially thought it was a tick or a bed bug, but it seemed too large and also has six legs. It is dark brown with black spots outlining its body. It seems to move slowly, as it remained in the same place all day. What is this beast?? Help!
sam&elm
South Alabama

Immature Bloodsucking Conenose Bug

Dear sam&elm,
You have a bit of a problem.  This is an immature Bloodsucking Conenose Bug or Kissing Bug in the genus Triatoma, and you do not want to get bitten as they are a known vector for Chagas disease.  You may read more about the Bloodsucking Conenose Bugs on BugGuide.

3 Responses to Immature Bloodsucking Conenose Bug

1. I’m trying to use the FB APIs to post to a fan page, but can only get it to post to my *main* page 🙁 I am very frustrated at this point. So close, yet…

2. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

3. drswanny says:

Definitely a species of Triatoma and in Alabama, almost certainly T. sanguisuga but T. lecticularia cannot be ruled out.