Tiny black, four-winged bug.
April 3, 2010
Bugman:
Thid bug appears to only be found in my restrooms. It is tiny, long (quarter of an inch or less) and has four wings. I’ve seen that it loses it wings and usually crawls instead of flies. My first idea was that it was a termite, but termites are clearish-white while this bug is black. It has six legs, antennae, and a hard-looking shell. Please inform on how to get rid of this bug. Thank you! I appreciate it.
Thank you, Truc
I live in Southern CA; in restrooms.

Termite Alates

Hi Truc,
These are swarming Termite Alates, the reproduction kings and queens and they are trying to embark on a nuptual flight to start new colonies.  Since they are in the bathroom, we suspect they are living in Termite infested wood, perhaps wood that got wet some time in the past.

Spelling Correction thanks to Eric Eaton
The March 23 post of “termite aletes” should have read “termite alates,” with another “a.”  That is the term for winged reproductives of termites and ants.

2 Responses to Swarming Termite Alates

1. Riddhi says:

Hi. I have the same problem in my room. The termite alates come out and swarm at midnight. They shed their wings and eventually die. I am not sure where they are coming from. In spite of bombarding the room with pesticides, the alates still exist. Please advise me on how to get rid of them.

Sounds like you have a systemic problem, meaning a colony of Termites in the walls or foundation which would require professional attention.