Please Identify This NJ-based Insect
April 1, 2010
Hello. Thank you for reviewing my request. Please assist with an identification. We have recently had a LOT of rain, and before that snow, in Northern New Jersey. I have a bathroom built just over the ground. I have seen two of these insects so far in the bathroom, so I presume they may have been living in the dirt and were “uprooted” by all the rain. They move very slowly. I am just interested to learn what they are. Thank you.
Al
Northern New Jersey

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Dear Al,
This is a Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis, a species native to the Pacific Northwest that greatly expanded its range beginning in the 1960s.  It is a harmless species that often hibernates inside homes when cold weather arrives.  It is frequently noticed by the unknowing “land lords” when warmer weather approaches, and the insects become active again.

3 Responses to Western Conifer Seed Bug

1. Lynne says:

Is there a bug that looks very similar to the Western Conifer Seed Bug that is found in Ontario, Canada?