Winged Beetle?
April 1, 2010
Hi! I snapped this lovely fellow after a night of heavy rains in the Indian State of Assam. He was perched outside our hotel room on a bush.
The eyes look fly-like so I thought it might be a fly, while the wings are jet black. Is it a beetle or a fly? Please help me identify it.
Thanks.
Royston
Kaziranga, Assam, North-East India

Bee Fly, we believe

Dear Royston,
This is most definitely a fly and not a beetle.  We believe it is a Flower Fly or Hover Fly in the family Syrphidae, but we are not certain.  We will try to do additional research.  We noticed that you sent us multiple identification requests, and we may not be able to address all of them because we have other letters to answer as well.  We are also playing catch-up as we took a holiday yesterday to visit Joshua Tree National Park.

Eric Eaton provides a Correction
This is actually some kind of bee fly in the family Bombyliidae.  Great picture of a handsome insect!

Location: India

2 Responses to Not Flower Fly, but Bee Fly from India

1. Thetmes Tariq says:

This is a fly from genus Exoprosopa.