South African Beetle, slightly larger than a dung beetle
March 26, 2010
Seen on roadway in Kruger National Park, slightly larger than standard Dung Beetle
Norm Arnett
South Africa

Longicorn: Phantasis species

Dear Norm,
This is quite an unusual beetle.  We believe it is one of the Longhorned Beetles in the family Cerambycidae, though we would love corroboration from someone with more experience.  We will contact Eric Eaton to see what he thinks.

Hi, Daniel:
Thanks for making my day:-)  I’m really suffering from allergies right now, and without health insurance I can’t get my Allegra!  A-a-a-a-a-CHOO!  Your questions always take my mind off whatever is ailing me….
Yes, the beetle from Africa is definitely in the Cerambycidae family.  I think I even have a genus for you:  Phantasis.  See this link, it looks just like the female (the one on the right in this image):
http://www.cerambycoidea.com/foto.asp?Id=1352
Really neat find.
Keep up the great work Daniel:-)
P.S.  Hey, next year, when your book is out, we should go in on a table at the Bug Fair and do signings!

Update
April 24, 2010
Were you ever able to find anything more on this unusual beetle? I couldn’t match it to any photos of Cerambycidae.
Norm Arnett

Dear Norm,
Sometimes we are unable to write back multiple times to answer requests.  Had you revisited our website, you would have found that your beetle was identified.

THank you for that! sorry to have bothered you. I misunderstood your earlier reply and mistakenly assumed that you would respond directly.

Dear Norm,
There is no need to apologize.  Like we indicated earlier, we try to give personal responses as well as posting letters to the website, but followups are sometimes quite difficult because we have to search through the numerous emails we receive to track down the sender’s address.