Ant with Claws
March 28, 2010
Hi, a couple years ago i found this ant with claws in my house. I’ve searched different things on google but still have not come across any pictures that look like this and i just found this site and i hope you can identify it
Tazia
North America

Ant Mimic Jumping Spider

Hi Tazia,
Ants are insects and have six legs.  Your creature has eight legs, plus the claws.  We are nearly certain this is an Ant Mimic Jumping Spider, and we believe based on the pedipalps which you call claws, that this is a male.  We cannot find an exact match on BugGuide, but there are a series of photos of Sarinda hentzi that resemble your specimen.  North America is a big place.

Ed. Note:
April 11, 2010
Rich provided a comment identifying this as possibly Myrmarachne formicaria, and we just found photos of that species on BugGuide while trying to identify another Jumping Spider.

One Response to Ant Mimic Jumping Spider

1. RichB says:

Nice photo of a male ant-mimic jumping spider. This one doesn’t look quite like Sarinda (the native species) but more like a recently (we think) introduced species from Europe called Myrmarachne formicaria. There is a recently published article about this species published in the Journal of Arachnology (2006, v 34:483-484). I’d love to know where in North America the photo was taken!