Green winged fuzzy bug
March 19, 2010
I found this bug on my porch today and I have never seen anything like this!
Susan
Houston, TX

Luna Moth

Hi Susan,
We are positively thrilled that you have sent in the first Luna Moth image of the year.  Late in the winter, we start to get reports from the southern portions of its range, and as warm weather spreads north, so do the Luna Moth sightings.  By mid may, we start to get reports from Maine and Canada.

4 Responses to First Luna Moth of the Year!!!!!

1. Synesthesia says:

Luna moths are so magical. I hope I can raise some this year.

2. TexasJuju says:

Susan – I was so excited when I saw the date you saw this Luna moth. I live in Hankamer, which is east of Houston, just before Winnie. The same night, Friday the 19th, I came across one too at a gas station at I-10 and Hwy 61. I thought it was the most incredible thing I’ve ever seen. Since moving out here about 2 1/2 years ago I’ve seen some creepy stuff. Huge spiders with webs big enough to catch a small child, enormous bugs with gigantic pincher things off it’s face, (trapped in one of the spider webs, ended up being some kind of water bug), fat yellow spider eating a black widow in my green house, and now to my delight, one of the most beautiful moths I’ve ever seen. Makes all the creepies worth it. I sure hope I can find some of the cocoons and put them somewhere safe. I’d love to see these again.

3. Lynn bock says:

I was at work one day and took
    a picture of this “butterfly”..well come to find out it was a Luna moth…please send me a link so I can up load my picture..thanks