A Katydid?
March 17, 2010
Eric Eaton sent me to you and he believes the picture I am attaching is a katydid. At first, thought it was some sort of kissing bug because I live in Antigua Guatemala and woke up one morning to this bugger on a spray bottle in my kitchen. It was huge and scared the daylights out of me! I’m also attaching another picture of a spider my husband found (he works in the Peten in the middle of the jungle.) Was wondering if it is a species of Wolf Spider? (it was the size of my husband’s hand.) Any help would be appreciate.
Natasha
Guatemala

Katydid

Hi Natasha,
We will address you identification requests in different postings.  This is definitely a Katydid, but we do not know the species.  It is a female.  We will contact katydid expert Piotr Naskrecki to see if he recognizes the species.

This is a female of Nannonotus alatus (Tettigoniidae: Pseudophyllinae), a species common at mid- to high elevations  (especially in Alajuela and San Jose Provinces), where it can be found under bark of tall trees.
Cheers,
Piotr