Pink Spotted Earthworm?
March 4, 2010
I hope you can help us identify this unusual worm my husband discovered today while trying to photograph a mole! I didn’t see the worm, but he took several photos and after a brief internet search we’re stumped (not that we would expect otherwise, being that we’re *not* experts!). Is it just a regular earthworm with some kind of disease?
Meg
North of Houston, Texas, in Montgomery County

Worm

Hi Meg,
The worm in your photo is sure crazy looking.  We cannot say if it is diseased or an unusual species without doing research on the matter, and our time at the moment is limited by other obligations.  We hope by posting this quickly, someone will be able to provide us with an answer.

Worm

One Response to Worm: Diseased? or unusual species???

1. Amanda C says:

I saw this today in the Pacific NW. It’s definitely diseased. It looked nearly the same as this picture. If you look at your picture closely, you can see some of the white dots are actually blisters. The worm I saw today also was very slimy and sticky. It was with other earthworms, that did not show signs of sickness.