Furry headed moth
March 4, 2010
This was on the wall at my boyfriend’s condo around 8PM. It’s head is furry- I would pet it if I knew it wasn’t poisonous, but I wouldn’t want to hurt the bug either. Anyhow, if you could identify it, that would be great. I’ve never seen one around here before, and there are actually two of them on the wall
Michelle Miller
St. Croix, USVI

Spanish Moth

Hi Michelle,
Your moth reminds us a bit of a photo we received two months ago that was identified as a Mangrove Flannel Moth.  Your moth is a different species, but we suspect it might be a Puss Moth or Flannel Moth in the same family, Megalopygidae.  Karl always does a great job with difficult identifications, and perhaps he will be able to come up with a match.

Spanish Moth

Hi Daniel and Michelle:
I like the frowning face on its back when the wings are closed, and the fuzzy headgear. This is actually an Owlet Moth ((Noctuidae: Hadeninae), specifically a Spanish Moth (Xanthopastis timais). The species is extremely widespread, ranging from New York to Argentina and including all of the Caribbean. The background color ranges from white to bright pink but the rest of the markings are fairly consistent and distinctive. It’s a very pretty moth – thanks.
Karl