Grasshopper?
March 4, 2010
Found this guy in a pine needle bale from SC while spreading it in NC. Dont know if her was just hitching a ride or what. Brown color…long wings, slender back legs
Luke
NC

Broad Tipped Conehead

Hi Luke,
It is easy to confuse a Katydid with a Grasshopper, but Grasshoppers have shorter, thicker antennae, and Katydids, like your specimen, have longer, more hairlike antennae.  Based on our research on BugGuide, this appears to be a Broad Tipped Conehead or Three Eyed Conehead Katydid.  We wish you had provided a view of the front of the head as that would have made for a surer identification.  Why do you spread pine needles in North Carolina?

Daniel-
That is awesome! I wish I would have had a better picture of the head. I didn’t know the difference between Grasshopper and Katydids but thanks for filling me in! I love to learn as much as I can about what is around me! Being a forestry student at the University of Tennessee I see my fare share of insects and arachnids! I was spreading the pine needles in the back of my parents house in NC. It is funny considering all the pine we have there but I’ve found that the longer needles of some SC long leaf and loblolly pines are better than the ones you can buy at say Lowes or ACE Hardware. I love your site, I wish I would have known more on how to find the insect myself but the link was perfect! Thank you so much for your help and QUICK response! I have donated a few dollars to help keep the site running!
Best of luck,
-Luke-

Hi again Luke,
Thanks for the kind words, the gardening tip, and the generous donation.

2 Responses to Broad Tipped Conehead

1. Dave says:

These are among the TASTIER bugs.
    Though not mentioned in the identification text here, this is probably in the genus Conocephalus. These guys are visual matches of Nsenene, the Ugandan katydids greatly enjoyed during their seasonal availability — in Uganda and surrounding countries.

I managed to buy some in a nearby city with a substantial Ugandan population. They’re a bit expensive but totally delicious. In the toaster oven or on the frying pan, the fats in their bodies makes them bubble. Most people say they taste like bacon.

Dave

2. prairie11 says:

In case Luke doesn’t answer you:

Pine needles are commonly used as mulch in North Carolina, partly because pines are common in the forests, so it looks very natural. It also helps acidify the soil, so if you live in a state with basic soil, it’s often used as a soil amender to enable you to grow acid-loving plants like azaleas and rhododendrons.

My question is: where did he get that cool perch for the photo? Neat!