Grain Weevils
March 2, 2010
I was shocked to read repeatedly on your site that bugs called grain weevils are not harmful to humans. If you did the proper research, you would find that inhalation of dust from the grain weevil causes a serious illness in humans called hypersensitivity pneumonitis, which results in pulmonary fibrosis and is FATAL. I know this because I have this illness, which I contracted from an infestation of grain weevils from a box of dry pet food. If you look up hypersensitivity pneumonitis in any medical textbook, you will find that Miller’s Lung, caused by the grain weevil, is one of the causes of this fatal disease.
Goldy G.

Dear Goldy G.
We will research this condition and link to findings on the web.  Here is what we found upon researching Miller’s Lung.

8 Responses to Grain Weevils and Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis

1. hypersensitivity pneumonitis seems to be caused by REPEATED exposure to dusts, not just an exposure one time. One of the main treatments is simply staying away from the dust.

Thanks so much for providing this comment. We are not physicians, and we are unable to make any professional diagnoses, but we couldn’t quite swallow the claims being made in the original post.

2. lttlechkn says:

A link to a very easy to read information page on hypersensitivity pneumonitis… http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec04/ch051/ch051b.html It pretty much looks like its a rare case when this disease, which is caused by an allergy to specific dusts, actually ends up being fatal.

3. love4bug says:

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is an inflammation of the lung (usually of the very small airways) caused by the body’s immune reaction to small air-borne particles. These particles can be bacteria, mold, fungi, or even inorganic matter. Grain Beetles are not Vectors of this disease…. right??

4. Marina says:

Is this the same kind if weevil that I just found in my pancake mix? I’m wondering if I should just pic them out or throw the whole thing away. I suppose they have left unseeable traces of themselves in there. Yup I’m discusted now

5. Helen mcfie says:

Have been vomiting and have congestion in the lungs for past few weeks. Just had grain weevils identified in my kitchen food cupboards. They really are tiny and hard to spot. Think I might have eaten quite a few. Yuk!

6. insect says:

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is a rare immune system disorder that affects the lungs. It occurs in some people after they breathe in certain substances they encounter in the environment. These substances trigger their immune systems, causing short- or long-term inflammation, especially in a part of the lungs called the interstitium. This inflammation makes it harder for the lungs to function properly and may even permanently damage the lungs. If diagnosed, some types of hypersensitivity pneumonitis are treatable by avoiding exposure to the environmental substances or with medicines such as corticosteroids that reduce inflammation. If the condition goes untreated or is not well controlled over time, the chronic inflammation can cause irreversible scarring of the lungs that may severely impair their ability to function.