Madagascar Hissing Roach
February 27, 2010
Hey, I don’t see any Madagascar Hissing Roaches on your site, so I
thought I might contribute!
His name is Eero, means “Ever-Ruler” and I was letting him crawl around on my pantleg in these pictures (was in a dark room using flash so his colors showed up better) sure it’s just brown, but I think it’s a pretty fade of black-brown and kind of a golden color.
I say “he” because of the big horn like protrusions on his thorax, females have a smooth top
Tara
Captive

Madagascar Hissing Cockroach

Hi Tara,
Thanks for sending us photos of this popular pet insect.

Madagascar Hissing Cockroach

One Response to Madagascar Hissing Cockroach

1. Dave says:

Yes, Virginia, Giant Hissing Cockroaches are edible. My illustrious colleague, David George Gordon, recommends soaking them in lemon juice for a couple hours before cooking them, so as to remove the waxy layer on the exoskeleton [which seals them against the onslaught of pathogens in their environment; same technique useful for other roaches].

The muscles that power the legs turn white upon cooking; tastes a little like lobster. This is not so surprising.

Dave
    http://www.smallstockfoods.com