Cricket?
February 23, 2010
Wondering what this is – common and latin name
david
chira Island, Costa Rica

Katydid: Ancistrocercus circumdatus

Dear david,
Our readership enjoys hearing details about the sightings that are submitted to our website.  For identification purposes, additional information is often quite helpful.  The spare wording of your letter (and that of your numerous other submissions) fails to engage our readership and doesn’t provide us with anything helpful except a location.  We will contact an expert in the Orthopterans, Piotr Naskrecki, to see if he can provide a response.

This is a pair of Ancistrocercus circumdatus (Pseudophyllinae), a species
common in Guanacaste.
Piotr

Ed. Note:
Technically, these Katydids are not mating, but since Piotr Naskrecki indicated that they are a pair, we are taking creative license and tagging them as Bug Love.

Ok thank you for the feedback.  I didn’t want to be long winded as I don’t have too much to offer and I thought people wanted brief  listings, but I can add a few things I guess as to the area I found it in.  Can I update it online?
David

Yes you may.