Large brown and white spider and cocoon in the making
February 22, 2010
Hi- ….  The other picture was in the same place on the same trip. It was right on the edge of the swamp surrounded by a myriad of cypress trees. There were tons of these cocoons all over, and the leaves they were on were practically stripped (by the caterpillars, I’m guessing). I.D. would be appreciated!
Sammy
Collier County, FL

Brazilian Skipper Pupa

Hi Sammy,
The horn at the end resembles the horn on a Sphingidae caterpillar, but we don’t believe your pupa is in that family.  We wish you were able to provide the food plant as that often assists in identification.  We will post this mystery and see if we get any assistance.

Hi- the plant he (or she) was on is called fireflag, or alligator flag.  Hope that helps.

It does not look like a sphingid to me.
Not even sure if the “horn” is on the front end or tail end.
Bill Oehlke

Karl identifies the pupa of a Brazilian Skipper
Hi Daniel and Sammy:
This looks like the pupa or chrysalis of a Brazilian Skipper (a.k.a. Larger Canna Leafroller), Calpodes ethlius, in the family Hesperiidae. There is a very similar photo on the Bugguide and the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences has posted an extensive information page. According to the latter site, the larval host plants are Canna Lilies and related species (looks about right from this photo). It is primarily a Central and South American species but has become established in Florida, Texas, and southern Arizona. Somewhat unusually, the horn is actually at the head end. Regards.
Karl